Healthy Memorial Day BBQ Ideas
Keep the appetizers healthy!
• Have fresh fruits and vegetables around to snack on.
• Make some flower skewers using sliced fresh fruit, or a watermelon stuffed with fresh fruit.
• Put out some baked or whole grain tortilla chips with fresh salsa.
• Melba toast with fresh bruschetta is another delicious idea.
Choose lean meats for grilling.
• BBQ chicken breast
• Cedar plank salmon
• Turkey burgers or lean burgers made from ground sirloin (90% lean or more)
• Pork loin
Use whole wheat buns for sandwiches and put out a smorgasbord of healthy toppings: fresh tomatoes, onions, mixed greens, avocado.
Healthy side dishes are fresh and delicious!
• Salad with mixed greens, berries, nuts, and a vinaigrette dressing
• Bean salad with vinaigrette
• Grilled veggies – try yellow squash, zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and fresh garlic. Toss first with a little bit of olive oil.
Dessert can be healthy too!
• Angelfood cake with fresh berries and light whipped topping
• Fresh fruit and yogurt parfaits – have a make your own dessert bar with various fruits
• Jell-O and whipped topping
• Low fat ice cream or frozen yogurt with fresh fruit toppings
• Low fat ice cream novelties – Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers have some delicious treats that are low in calories and fat
What’s that you say? What about alcohol? Keep it light and keep it limited. Each drink can have anywhere from 60-200 calories.
Have a happy holiday weekend everyone! Thank you to all those who have served our country.