P.A.D.S. needs volunteers
Three shifts at area churches must be filled each night between Oct. 15, 2012, and April 14, 2013
Additional volunteers are critically needed in order for Grundy Area P.A.D.S. to provide emergency shelter for homeless individuals this winter.
A volunteer orientation has been scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 20, at First United Methodist Church, 118 W. Jackson St., Morris.
Anyone 18 years of age and over interested in learning more about the P.A.D.S. program and how he or she might help provide emergency overnight shelter for the homeless in Grundy County this winter is invited to attend a volunteer orientation.
Volunteers are asked to sign up for one shift a month. They are needed to fill out the shifts between Oct. 15, 2012, and April 14, 2013. Shift #1 runs from 6 to 11 p.m., while shift #2 is from 10:45 p.m. to 3 a.m. The third shift starts at 2:45 a.m. and runs until 7:30 a.m.
Six Morris churches have agreed to be Grundy P.A.D.S. (Public Action to Deliver Shelter/Sustenance) homeless shelter sites. These churches depend on volunteers not only from their congregations, but also from worksites and the community at large to staff these shelter sites.
This year, the shelter sites will include:
• Monday at Peace Lutheran, 101 Candlelight Lane, Morris.
• Tuesday at First United Methodist, 118 W. Jackson St., Morris.
• Wednesday at First Christian, 455 W. Southmor Road, Morris.
• Thursday at First Presbyterian Church, 200 E. Jackson St., Morris.
• Friday at Immaculate Conception Catholic’s Meeting House, 622 E. Jackson St., Morris.
• Saturday at Living Word Bible Church, 304 E. Jackson, Morris.
• Sunday at Peace Lutheran, 101 Candlelight Lane, Morris.
Volunteers at the shelter sites will provide homeless individuals with:
• A safe overnight shelter from the elements;
• A sleeping pad with blanket and sheets;
• Towels and a place to clean-up each night;
• An evening meal and a small breakfast;
• A sack lunch for the next day.
Please accept P.A.D.S.’s invitation to attend the orientation at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 20, at the Methodist Church or to get answers to your questions, you may contact Sharon Schultz, P.A.D.S. volunteer coordinator at (815) 941-4194.