Area towns join Heartland’s campaign
Donors will help recognize breast cancer awareness
Kicking off Oct. 1, countries around the globe will celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month, with 31 days spotlighting prevention, education, and finding a cure.
Heartland Blood Centers, a non-for-profit, independent blood center asks that all healthy community members donate blood in the month of October to honor those lives lost or currently struggling with breast cancer.
Heartland is giving a special edition t-shirt in the month of October to blood donors as a way of saying “thank-you” for helping to make cancer treatments possible.
All donors receive free mini-medical exams on site and information about their temperature, pulse rate, blood pressure and hemoglobin level.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the United States, other than skin cancer. It is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, after lung cancer.
To be a blood donor, individuals must be at least 17 years old, or 16 with written parental permission; weigh at least 110 pounds; be symptom free of cold, flu and allergies; and be in general good health.
All community members are encouraged to attend the following blood drives:
• BRAIDWOOD — Oct. 20 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Fossil Ridge Public Library, 386 W Kennedy. Please call the library at (815) 458-2187 or stop in at the library to reserve preferred donation time.
• CHANNAHON — Oct. 11 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Resurrection Lutheran Church, Channahon, 25050 W. Eames. Please call Jim at 630-951-0009 to reserve preferred donation time.
• COAL CITY — Oct. 18 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Assumption Parish, 245 S. Kankakee St. Please call Bill at (815) 671-7665 to reserve preferred donation time. Walk-ins welcome.
• MINOOKA — Oct. 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Family Video, Minooka, 453 South Ridge Road. Sign up at Family Video or call (815) 521-2173 to reserve preferred donation time. Walk-ins welcome.
• MORRIS — Oct. 8 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Morris V.F.W., 309 McKinley. Call the V.F.W. at (815) 942-0605 to reserve donation time or sign up online at www.heartlandbc.org. Walk-ins welcome.
• MORRIS — Oct. 20 from 8 a.m. to noon at First Christian Church Of Morris:, 455 Southmor Road. Please call the church office at (815) 942-3454 or sign up online atwww.heartlandbc.org to reserve preferred donation time. Walk-ins also welcome; appointments appreciated.
• MORRIS — Oct. 29 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at First United Methodist Church, 118 W. Jackson. Call the church office at (815) 942-0809 to reserve preferred donation time. Walk-ins are also welcome.
• SENECA — Oct. 24 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Seneca Fire & Ambulance Services, 121 W. Armour St. Sign up online at www.heartlandbc.org or call Karen at (815) 343-1010 to reserve preferred donation time. Walk-ins also very welcome.