Carbon monoxide an overlooked danger of the winter season
Avoiding overexposure to deadly gas as simple as having a working detector in the home
As fall gives way to winter, local public safety officials are encouraging area residents to be mindful of a common safety concern of the season — overexposure to carbon monoxide.
As locals head indoors for the colder months, and residents keep their windows and doors closed, area officials have said the issue is one that tends to pop up. Cindy Wilson, fire and life safety education coordinator for Channahon and Minooka fire protection districts, said with those actions, carbon monoxide in the home tends to build up more.
According to a release from the Coal City Fire Protection District, carbon monoxide can be produced by any burning fuel, from gasoline to natural gas and coal. The effects of carbon monoxide can be serious, causing breathing difficulties, cardiac trauma, and brain damage, the release stated.
If you have any technical difficulties, either with your username and password or with the payment options, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org