Fair
54°FFairFull Forecast

Suspect in Hadiya Pendleton slaying had 3 arrests while on probation

Published: Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013 9:49 a.m. CDT

(MCT) — CHICAGO — The reputed gang member accused of gunning down 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton last month was on the street even though he had been arrested three separate times for break-ins and trespassing while on probation for a weapons conviction in recent months, the Chicago Tribune has learned.

In two of those arrests, including one just two months ago, Cook County, Ill., probation officials failed to notify prosecutors or the judge that Michael Ward had been arrested on the new misdemeanor charges and violated his probation.

The head of the county’s probation department acknowledged Monday that his office fell short in its responsibilities and vowed to find out what went wrong.

“There should have been a violation filed, but for some reason there was not,” said Jesus Reyes, the director of the Cook County Adult Probation Department. “Absolutely, we will investigate.”

Reyes emphasized, though, that it was unclear if any of Ward’s alleged probation violations would have led to his being sent to prison for an extended time. The probation department handles thousands of cases each year and often alleged violations lead only to short jail stints, especially on misdemeanor arrests or if the new charges are soon dropped, as happened in two of Ward’s arrests, he said.

“I don’t know if something that minor would have taken him off the street for very long,” Reyes said.

Bob Loeb, a veteran criminal-defense attorney and former county prosecutor, said many judges are reluctant to clog up their calls with probation violations.

“They’ll hold them for a while to show them the inside of the jail,” Loeb said. “If (the) new charge is dismissed, then often they don’t proceed on the (violation of probation) because they’ve already accomplished scaring the guy. So nothing else happens.”

Ward, 18, was arrested in October 2011 after Chicago police officers responding to a call of a person with a gun spotted him running away in clothing matching the description of the offender, according to court records.

Officers chased Ward and saw him throw a handgun into a grassy area behind a building, the records show. The weapon, a loaded Cobra .38 Special, was later found under a bush, according to court records. Ward told the officers that he had the gun “because the boys from Lakepark were after me,” an apparent reference to gang members from a nearby neighborhood.

Ward pleaded guilty to aggravated unlawful use of a weapon in January 2012 and was sentenced to two years’ probation by Judge Nicholas Ford at the Leighton Criminal Court Building. As part of his probation, Ward was ordered confined to his home at night for the first six months, court records show. He was also instructed to complete his high school diploma and attend an anti-violence forum.

Less than three months later, Ward was arrested on the South Side and charged with breaking into a car, but probation officials didn’t notify prosecutors that constituted a violation of his probation, Reyes said. At his next court date, prosecutors dropped the charge, records show.

In July, Ward was again arrested for allegedly breaking into a vehicle. This time, the probation office alerted the state’s attorney’s office, prompting prosecutors to file a petition to violate his probation. In August, Ford ordered Ward held without bail, according to the records.

But the break-in charges were dropped the next month when the complaining witness did not appear in court. Three days later, Ford ordered Ward released from custody, records show.

Court records show Ward picked up his third arrest in late November. He was charged with misdemeanor trespassing, but probation officials again failed to notify prosecutors, according to Reyes. The charge was dropped in December when a witness failed to show up in court, records show.

Police also arrested Ward numerous times as a juvenile on charges ranging from robbery to battery to marijuana possession, court records show. At least two of those arrests resulted in convictions and Ward spent time in 2011 on juvenile probation.

Previous Page|1|2|Next Page

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.

More News

Watch Now

Player embeded on all MDH instances for analytics purposes.

Jalopy Fest 2014

More videos »