In the United States alone, someone needs blood every two seconds.
They could be a family, friends, neighbors, co-workers or people you may never know. They all have one thing in common – the need for a lifesaving blood donation.
Thousands of Americans have already made the commitment and given the gift of life in 2013.
Heartland Blood Centers’ mission is to provide and maintain an adequate supply of blood and blood products for area hospitals to draw upon to meet the needs of patients.
For a list of convenient donation locations, visit www.heartlandbc.org for a Heartland center or community blood drive near you.
Blood donors receive free mini-medical exams on site, including information about their temperature, pulse rate, blood pressure and hemoglobin level.
To be a blood donor, individuals must be at least 17 years old, or 16 with written parental permission; weigh at least 110 pounds; be symptom free of cold, flu and allergies; and be in general good health. Donors who have traveled outside the United States within the past 12 months should contact Heartland at 1-800-7TO-GIVE to determine eligibility. All community members are encouraged to attend the following blood drives.
• DWIGHT — May 20, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., at Heritage Health, 300 E. Mazon Ave.Please call Brenda at Heritage Health at 815-584-1240 to reserve your preferred donation time. Walk-ins welcome; appointments appreciated. Please bring a photo ID and eat a good meal before donating. Every donor will receive a $10 Target Gift Card.
• MINOOKA — May 4, 7:30 a.m. to noon, at Minooka Junior High School, 333 McEvilly Road. Please call John at 815-521-1970 to reserve your preferred donation time or sign up online at www.heartlandbc.org. Walk-ins also very welcome; appointments appreciated. Please bring a photo ID and eat a good meal before donating.
• MORRIS — May 23, 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., at Morris Hospital: 150 W. High St. Please call Rachel at 815-942-2932, ext. 7370 to sign up or sign up online at www.heartlandbc.org. Every donor will receive a $10 Target Gift Card. Please bring a photo ID and eat a good meal before donating.
• SENECA — May 16, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., at Seneca Fire & Ambulance Services: 121 W. Armour St. Please sign up online at www.heartlandbc.org or call Karen at 815-343-1010 to reserve your preferred donation time. Walk-ins welcome; appointments preferred. Please bring a photo ID and eat a good meal before donating.
• SHOREWOOD — May 11, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Conrad’s Harley-Davidson, 19356 N.E. Frontage Road. Please contact Missy at Conrad’s Harley-Davidso at 815-725-2000, ext. 147 to sign up or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve donation time. Walk-ins welcome; appointments appreciated. Please bring a photo ID.