Area events for Veterans Day
Area communities are scheduled to gather this weekend and Monday to honor local veterans. Events that were submitted to the newspaper include:
• The Morris Marine Corps League & Recruiting Sub-station is holding a chili cookoff from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Morris American Legion, 212 W. Washington St., Morris. All are welcome and invited to bring in their best chili. New toy donations, which will benefit the Toys For Tots campaign, will be accepted in exchange for a bowl of chili.
• A Marine Corps birthday celebration will start at 6 p.m. Sunday at the Morris American Legion, 212 W. Washington St., Morris. All Marines and guests are welcome. The celebration is sponsored by the Marine Corps League.
• Coal City – The Coal City Public Library is hosting a Veterans Day celebration starting at 11 a.m. Monday with a flag-raising ceremony with the St. Juvin VFW and the American Legion followed by addresses by the post commanders and state Sen. Sue Rezin.
• Minooka – The community is recognizing Veterans Day with events at each school in the Minooka CCSD District 201; contact your school for details.
• Morris – The Morris American Legion is hosting the annual Veterans Day parade and observance. The parade starts at Chapin Park about 10:30 a.m. Monday and ends at the Grundy County Courthouse, with an observance planned at 11 a.m. The public is welcome to participate in the parade; no registration required, just be at the park by 10:15 a.m. Lunch will be provided after the service at the American Legion at 212 W. Washington St., Morris.
• Morris – The Disabled American Veterans Chapter 86 will host a Veterans Day program at Saratoga Towers, 1700 Newton Place, Morris, starting at 1 p.m.
• Seneca – Seneca High School will hold a program at 10:30 a.m. Monday. All military veterans and enlisted members are invited to be recognized. All community members are invited to attend the event coordinated by the high school’s FFA Chapter.
Refreshments start at 10 a.m. for honored guests; they will receive a pork chop lunch immediately after the event. Members of the military wishing to attend can RSVP by callling 815-357-5000.