2 questioned in shooting of 6-year-old boy
CHICAGO (MCT) - Police have arrested a second person in connection with the attack that left a 6-year-old boy who with a gunshot wound to the chest after he was struck by gunfire on his way to a tutoring class with his two brothers in the Gage Park neighborhood this week.
Detectives had both persons of interest in custody in the shooting, which occurred around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 5600 block of South Mozart Street, a source said. Police News Affairs confirmed Thursday that one person was in custody, but had no information Friday evening on a second person being questioned.
The boy was with his brothers, ages 7 and 19, when there were shouts, then flying bottles and finally shots, according to the family.
The 19-year-old sped off through the South Side neighborhood, then realized the 6-year-old had been shot, the family said. He called 911 and the boy was taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.
The family told WGN-TV that the boy and his 7-year-old brother were being dropped off at tutoring session at a family friend's when the shooting took place.
The teen got into an argument with two people on the street who started throwing bottles at the car, according to Police News Affairs Officer Daniel O'Brien. The 19-year-old started to drive off as the back window shattered, according to the family.
He stopped at 56th Street and Sacramento Avenue, five blocks away, and called police, they said.
One of those sought in the boy's shooting was arrested Thursday evening at a relative's house in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, while the second was arrested in the West Englewood neighborhood Friday afternoon, a source said.
(c)2013 the Chicago Tribune
Distributed by MCT Information Services