Overcast
35°FOvercastFull Forecast

Overheated boiler cancels classes for a day at Gardner-South

Published: Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014 5:30 a.m. CST

GARDNER – A boiler that overheated Wednesday at Gardner-South Wilmington High School caused school to be canceled, but classes were planned to resume as scheduled today.

Between 4:30 and 5 a.m. Wednesday, the Gardner Fire Protection District was called to Gardner-South Wilmington High School where firefighters found smoke in the hallways, Chief Terry Jensen said.

The water feed valve shut off in the boiler room and instead of the boiler shutting off, it continued to heat, he said, so the boiler overheated.

When firefighters entered the room the temperature was between 800 and 1,000 degrees.

“We initiated ventilation maintenance on scene,” Jensen said.

The boiler room received extensive damage. No one was injured and no one was in the school at the time.

The school is operating on its secondary boiler, Superintendent Michael Perrott said, and will continue to until the other one can be repaired.

“It’s nice and warm in the school and we are in good shape,” he said.

Seven departments helped Gardner until a call about a fire in Coal City came in, at which time most left to aid Coal City, Jensen said.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all MDH instances for analytics purposes.

Christian Life Assembly - Diamond tornado

More videos »