Kendall- Grundy Community Action announces summer cooling program
The Kendall-Grundy Community Action has available limited funds to assist with home summer cooling bills.
Applications for the Low Income Heating Energy Assistance Program’s Summer Energy Assistance Program will be accepted from July 7 though July 23, or until funds are exhausted, according to a news release from the organization.
Qualified households may be eligible for assistance in the form of a one-time payment of $150 sent directly to their electricity provider, according to the news release. To qualify for assistance, households must demonstrate a gross income equal to or less than 150 percent of the 2014 federal poverty level, defined as follows:
• A family of 1 must have a gross income equal of less than $1,459.
• A family of 2 must have a gross income equal of less than $1,966.
• A family of 3 must have a gross income equal of less than $2,474.
• A family of 4 must have a gross income equal of less than $2,981.
• A family of 5 must have a gross income equal of less than $3,489.
• A family of 6 must have a gross income equal of less than $3,996.
Additionally, to qualify households must meet one or more of the following criteria:
• Include a member with a medical condition that can be improved by air conditioning, such as asthma, emphysema, coronary disease and terminal illnesses.
• Required documentation must include a doctor’s certification letter dated within the last 90 days, stating that the medical condition would be aggravated by extreme heat.
• Include a member who is age 60 and older.
• Include children age 5 or under.
• Include a member receiving Social Security disability benefits or with a pending determination case at the Social Security Administration.
Grundy County residents who believe they are qualified can call 815-941-3262.