Fire does severe damage to Minooka house

Family, pets made it out safely

MINOOKA – Paula Henderson was sitting Monday night with a friend in her garage on Church Street in Minooka when they noticed smoke billowing from her neighbor’s home and called 911.

“We were sitting here, and my friend said I think that house is on fire,” Henderson said Tuesday morning. “It started in the corner, and it went up so fast.”

Minooka Fire Protection District Deputy Chief Brad Sprague said the district received a call at 9:29 p.m. stating there was a residential structure fire at 215 E. Church St.

“When we arrived the garage was fully involved,” Sprague said. “We deployed multiple hand lines and opened the roof.”

MABAS 15 investigators are still investigating the fire. So far no cause has been released.

Orange fencing and yellow caution tape surrounded the boarded-up home Tuesday at the northwest corner of Church Street and Illini Drive. The owner’s vehicles still sat in the driveway with the windows shattered in their Jeep from the heat of the flames.

The home is owned by Billy and Janet Jones, according to online property search of the Grundy County Assessor’s Office.

Henderson said the owners, their children, as well as a cat and dog, all got out of the home safely.

“Thank God they got out and are safe, even the dog and cat,” she said. “I’m still in shock.”

Sprague said one of the residents was taken to an area hospital for breathing difficulty, but did not know that person’s current condition.

Sprague said the fire was under control in about 40 minutes and Minooka was assisted by Channahon, Troy, Elwood, Wilmington, Plainfield, Oswego and Morris fire protection districts, while Coal City, Rockdale, Manhattan and Mazon districts covered quarters.