Coal City garage fire causes $10,000 in damage
COAL CITY — A garage fire caused about $10,000 in damage to a Coal City home Friday afternoon.
According to a Coal City Fire Protection District release, the fire was reported just after 12:10 p.m. Friday, Sept. 7. Officials received multiple 911 calls reporting a garage fire in the area of Coaler Drive and Daisy Place.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, they observed smoke from the garage at 721 W. Daisy Place.
The fire was under control by first responders by 12:30 p.m. Firefighters determined the cause to have been an accidental fire that began on the outside of a detached garage at the residence that spread to the attic. Braidwood Fire Department assisted with mutual aid station coverage.
Fire Protection District officials credit the calls of concerned neighbors for the relatively low amount of fire damage.
According to the release, Chief James Sheldon issued a reminder about handling fires safely.
"If you are having an outside fire, be sure to cool the embers with water and leave them where they are until the next day," he said.
He also noted that all outside fires should be kept away from other materials that can burn.